Mistakes happen. People need to own their mistakes, be clear on the outcome and consequences of the mistake and, where possible, fix the mistake and ultimately learn not to make the mistake.
If a mistake has been made, address it around these questions:
- Was the mistake intentional? (If it was, it can mean discipline. If not, it means a conversation. The intention is important.)
- Is it visible and easily described?
- Does the person know they’ve made a mistake?
- Have they made the same mistake before?
- Is the person capable of and committed to avoiding the mistake?