Our organisation is striving to create an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected because of their difference – a place where every employee can be themselves so they can reach their potential and help us achieve our business goals.
We want our business to be innovative and productive so we can deliver the best products and services to our customers and we need diversity to help us achieve this. The more we collaborate and value difference the closer we get to living in a truly inclusive community.
This diversity and inclusion strategy provides us with a road map to create an inclusive workplace. To help us achieve this, we need the commitment of every employee to understand what we are trying to achieve, to work together and be open to change. This strategy is everyone’s responsibility and I encourage you to get involved.
To have a respectful and supportive workplace that enables us to attracted and retain a diverse workforce that represents our customers and community.
This strategy is a two-year plan to help us achieve our business and people goals. It provides a shared direction and commitment for the organisation so we can work together to respect and value our diverse workforce and build a more inclusive workplace.
It comprises of three key goals and identifies the priorities and actions we will take over the next two years. It outlines the key roles and responsibilities and how we will track progress and measure success.
- Workforce Diversity – Recruit from a diverse, qualified group of candidates to increase diversity of thinking and perspective
- Workplace Inclusion – Foster a culture that encourages collaboration, flexibility and fairness to enable all employees to contribute to their potential and increase retention
- Sustainability and Accountability – Identify and breakdown systemic barriers to full inclusion by embedding diversity and inclusion in policies and practices and equipping leaders with the ability to manage diversity and be accountable for the results
Recruit from a diverse, qualified group of candidates to increase diversity of thinking and perspective
1. Advertise roles in a broad range of publications (Accountability: Human Resources)
2. Ensure a diverse range of candidates are represented at shortlist stage (Accountability: All Hiring Managers)
Increase in the representation of diverse employees
Foster a culture that encourages collaboration, flexibility and fairness to enable all employees to contribute to their potential and increase retention
1. Provide inclusive leadership training for managers (Accountability: Senior Leadership Team)
2. Establish employee advocacy groups(Accountability: Senior Leadership Team)
All managers participate in inclusive leadership training.
Three employees advocacy groups are established.
Sustainability and Accountability
Identify and breakdown systemic barriers to full inclusion by embedding diversity and inclusion in policies and practices and equipping leaders with the ability to manage diversity and be accountable for the results
1. Review policies and practices to identify and remove systemic barriers to inclusion (Accountability: Human Resources)
2. Implement a key performance indicator (KPI) for diversity and inclusion for all employees (Accountability: Senior Leadership Team)
All policies and practices are reviewed and updated.
KPI is implemented into all employees performance plans.
Roles and Responsibilities:
All employees have the responsibility to maintain an environment that is safe, respectful and productive. Everyone has the right to be treated fairly within the workplace in an environment that recognises and accepts diversity.
We can all contribute by participating in workplace diversity and inclusion activities and opportunities and complying with all anti-discrimination and workplace diversity legislation.
Managers and supervisors can contribute by displaying a positive commitment to workplace diversity and inclusion, being role models, fostering an inclusive workplace culture, dealing quickly and effectively with inappropriate behaviour and participating in diversity training and encouraging team members to attend.
The success of the strategy is dependent upon the support of everyone in the department. Everyone has a responsibility for contributing to a culture which supports and values diversity and inclusion.
Diversity & Inclusion strategy, programs, events, training, volunteering, success stories, key data on diversity progress, key days of significance
Direct Emails, Newsletters, Intranet, Internal Training
Diversity & Inclusion vision, specific objectives, employee reference groups, awards/recognition, policies, CEO testimonial/commitment
Industry blogs, Recruitment websites, Business’ website, Recruiters, External publications
Customers and Shareholders
Diversity & Inclusion vision, awards/recognition, data on diversity progress
Business’ website, Annual report, External publications
The effectiveness and achievement of our goals for diversity and inclusion will be reviewed and reported on quarterly. The report will be provided to the CEO and the executive team. The review will focus on the implementation of the actions, the progress made and successes. It will also identify any adjustments required to improve effectiveness.
The evaluation will include:
• A qualitative assessment of progress or achievement of the actions
• A quantitative assessment of the impact of the strategy on employee perceptions and experience of the culture of the organisation
The outcome of the evaluation and review will guide the development of further action plans.